Thursday, February 28, 2008

I the Supreme

As I am struggling through “I the Supreme” all I can think about is the fact that I am going to need to read this over and over to fully understand it. I think that it is a good practice in reading and accepting the fact that there are some things that just might go over my head and also I constantly am forcing my self to focus as I read it.

The hardest part of the book is that the dialogue is not portrayed traditionally. Conversations are clumped into one paragraph and no quotations are used, thus it is hard to follow who is talking. As the book goes on, it is becoming easier to distinguish between the Supreme and Patino as we begin to know the characters better. The way in which we are just following each person’s stream of consciousness is frustrating at times because I find myself craving action. After twenty pages I can look back and have to struggle to come up with what the action actually was. I am reading another book in my Portuguses Lit class right now that does the same thing (Hour of the Star). I have to force myself to just go with it and accept the lack of action. The compilers notes add a completely different spin to the book as they are one more interruption to the flow of the narration, yet necessary to read.

Finally, I like that we are reading about Paraguay as I really know very little about it and don’t know if I have ever even read a book about this area.


tag:

1 comment:

eshiu said...

Oh are you taking Port 392? I wanted to take that class as well but I couldn't get in. How is it?
But yes I agree with you in that it's hard remembering what action has taken place. It doesn't even seem like that much has happened, other than the fact that that note was written. And the compiler notes are getting on my nerves. When I see the star, I don't know if I should read the note first, or continuing reading. Because sometimes the note continues on for pages and then I have to go back to read what I missed.