Monday, January 28, 2008

What a relief. I have to say that so far I really prefer El Senor Presidente. I really like the narrative style as we get the prospective of numerous characters as to what is going on. However as it jumps from character to character I get a bit confused.

I loved the description of Dona Venjamon. From the instant that I read her name I laughed and I love the way the narrator describes her as, “a woman of colossal build, who required two seats in the tram (one for each buttock) and more than eight yards of material for her dress (53).” I really thought this description was hysterical and well written.

The book really makes clear the corruption that exists in this country. Security men are paid off so the men can pass by to kidnap the young girl as if it were nothing (68). Angel face simply gives the man 100 pesos, and “his objections were at once overcome” (68).
Asturias portrays all the corruption as everyday occurrences and part of life in this country, which demonstrates the corrupt nature of this place. He inserts these details so simply that it is clear they are everyday occurrences.

I find it interesting that thus far the “president” plays a very small role in the plot. While it is clear that the actions of the characters were set out by him, he plays a small vocal role in the plot thus far. The little bit we have read of his direct presence such as on page 35-36 he is clearly a powerful dictator who is not fazed by the unjust death of one of its citizens and has no problem having the death be reframed in order to make himself look good to the public eye. His personal interests are clearly his first priority.


tag:

No comments: