Sunday, October 22, 2006

"Our children were taken alive; we want them back alive

I really enjoyed this weeks readings. The section on “las locas” was especially interesting to me. The introduction sums up the women’s relationship with each other very well. They were “brought together by the agony and controlled fury that only a mother whose children have been taken away could feel (428). Hebe’s account is heart wrenching. It really gives insight to the feelings and connections between the women. Of her first meeting with a fellow mother of a missing child she notes, “I felt a bond of sisterhood with that woman. I felt understood” (431). These bonds were clearly so important for the women’s processes of mourning and effort to take a stand. It was interesting to read that many of them, including Hebe herself were in disbelief of the situation. She explains, “…something in me was still asking if we weren’t creating too much of a scandal over nothing, over some confusion that would surely be cleared up sooner or later” (432). I never knew the key role- that the world cup played in raising international awareness. I also had no idea that “las locas” were the only visible protesters during the dictatorship.


tag:

No comments: